Properties: Recorder, Overhead Projector.
1. Revise the grammar: the Adverbial Clause and the Infinitive.
2. Revise the use of “who, that, which”.
Language Focus: so that
The Infinitive: to + Verb(原形)
I. Showing the teaching aims
Check homework, ask some students to retell the story.
Give the students some sentences for example to help them understand the structure:
so + adj. /adv. + that(结果)
1. I am so angry that I can't say a word.
2. The teacher spoke so fast that we couldn't catch up with him.
3. The classroom is so dirty that we must clean it.
Ask the students to make up some sentences with “so… that”, then give same more sentences.
1. He got up late so that he was late for school.
2. He ran very fast so that he hit the electric pole.
Ask the students to do some practice.
Look at Exercise 1, ask the students to answer the questions with so that…. The answers are:
1. I stayed at home so that I could go swimming when I had finished it.
2. Lucy saved her money so that she could buy her mother a birthday present.
3. Ling Feng was going to Changsha the next week so that he could visit his sick grandmother.
4. I was doing my homework so that I could ask him to help me with my physics.
5. I was looking for Lin Tao so that he could visit sick grandmother.
Get the students to make up some sentences like:
1. I don't know how to get to the station.
2. She doesn't know which sweater to choose.
Ask the students to pay attrition to the Infinitive. Give them more examples to understand better, e. g.
1. I don't know what to do next.
2. They don't know where to go.
3. We didn't know when to start.
Focus on the use of the Infinitive, then give another example:
It’s very important to learn English well:
To learn English well is very important.
Let the students make more sentences, pay attention to the use of the Infinitive.
Look at Exercise 2, make sentences with partners. The answers are:
1. It’s hard / easy to work out these maths problem.
2. It’s exciting to watch football matches.
3. It’s interesting to read history books.
4. It’s hard / easy to learn foreign languages.
VII. Leaning and practice
Do Exercise 3, complete the sentences using who/ that/ which. The answers are:
1.which 2.who 3.who 4.which 5.who 6.which 7.which 8.who
Do Exercise 1, let the students translate the sentences alone then check the answers with the students.
Answers: 1. We arc hungry. We need to buy something to eat. 2. She is very busy today. She has a lot of work to do. 3. Please be quiet! I have something important to tell you. 4. Will you please tell him to turn down the TV a little? 5. nobody knows what to do next? 6. I’m going to the post office to buy a few stamps this afternoon.
For Exercise 2. Join the two parts and make the students read together.
For Exercise 3. Get the students to read the story, and fill in the blanks. The answers are: which, who, who, who, who
Exercise in class
1. Revise the use of the grammar.
2. Make sentences with the Infinitive.
Properties: Recorder, Overhead Projector and a map of world.
1. Practise listening ability.
2. Revise the grammar: the Comparative Degrees of Adjective and Adverbs
The Past Perfect Tense
Language Focus: Checkpoint 18
I. Showing the teaching aims
Check homework, then ask the students to read the partners' homework to share with each other.
Revise the use of the Infinitive
III. leading in
T: Today we'll learn something about Coco. Do you know where she is from?
IV. Listening practice
Play the tape or for the students to listen and find the answer, then look at the workbook, Exercise 1, go through the questions with the students and make sure they can understand what they mean. Play the tape again, let the students discuss their answers in pains before the teacher checks the answers with the whole class.
Show the students a map of the world, and ask: What map is it? Help the students find “China” and “India” on the map. Let the students discuss the two countries: They are developing countries. They have a large population in the world.
Ask: What’s the population of China and what’s the population of India? Let the students read Part 2 and answer the questions. (China's population is 1 328 000 000 and India's population is 1 000 000 000). That’s to say India’s population is smaller than China’s .Ask the students to use the words in the box to complete the passage, then read together, finally ask the students to retell the text.
Revise the Grammar: The Past Perfect Tense, give some examples:
1. He had left before his wife came back.
2. I remembered that Peter had already got a bike.
3. By the end of last month, he had learned 2000 new words.
4. When I got to the cinema, the film had begun.
Then ask the students to do Exercise 3. The answers are: 1 C 2 E 3 A 4 B 5 D. Let the students read these sentences together.
Ask the students to do Exercise 4 first, then check the answers. The answers are: had, in, is, more, the, had, to, in, had, that, to, us, and, to
Give the students five minutes to finish workbook. Do Exercises 1, 3 and 4. Then check the answers.
The answers to Exercise 1 are: took, went, found, was, called, told, had happened, said, would go, came, was found, checked, founded, said, stole, went, enjoyed, came, found, had stolen, had
The answers to Exercise 3 are: I worn out 2 try on 3 slow down 4 made up my mind 5 am pleased with 6 were angry with, deserve to 7 at least 8 as if 9 carried on
Exercises in class
Fill in the blanks according to the text in this unit.
Lucy and Lily are___1___. They are living together___2___. But sometimes they fight. It doesn't last too___3___. They___4___very well with each other again.
They look___5__, so it's hard for people to recognize them: Who is Lucy___6__Lily. We always___7___mistakes. They feel___8__. They like most of the same things, for example: music, food and___9__. But Lily likes to___10__, Lucy likes to___11__, they don’t like the same colour,____12___. So they have some___13____Sometimes they disagree, but they never___14__. They love each other and they are___15___happy that they are twins.
Answers: 1.twins 2.most of the time 3.long 4.get on 5.the same 6.or 7.make 8. the same 9. books 10 .dance 11. sing 12. either 13. differences 14. fight 15.both
Prepare for the final examination.
Properties: Computer, Projector, PPT document provided.
1. Let the students understand the dialogue and learn new words.
2. Go over the Past Perfect Tense.
New words: British, fail, summit, misty, mist
Useful expressions: disappear into, the first men to do tins, try to reach the top of
I. Showing the teaching aims
Ask the students to act out the dialogue is provided in Lesson 69-1.asf
III. Lead in
Give the students some information and pictures about Mount Qomolangma, and check their homework. Let them speak something about the history of climbing the Mount Qomolangma.
It was formed 60million years ago and ascends to the height of 8850. Surveyor General Andrew Waugh proposed to name the mountain Everest after his predecessor, George Everest. This name prevailed until today, although the mountain has two local names - Qomolangma in Tibetan, Sagarmatha in Nepali.
IV. Watch and listen
Ask the students to watch the flash Because it is there.swf which is provided. Listen the text carefully, and finish the questions:
True or False
1. Mount Qomolangma is the tallest mountain in the world. ( )
2. George Mallory is a professional (职业的) mountain climber. ( )
3. Mallory had tried four times to reach the top of the mountain. ( )
4. In 1921 he tried to climb the mountain for the first time. ( )
5. Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay were thought to be the first men to reach the top of the mountain. ( )
6. Edmund Hillary found Mallory’s body in 1999. ( )
1. √ 2. × 3. × 4. √ 5. √ 6. ×
V. Read the text
Let the students read the text carefully and grasp the main idea of this article. And find out what happened in different years (1921, 1922, 1924, 1953, 1999).
A story about George Mallory’s climb of Mount Qomolangma.
mist [mist] n. 雾，a thin fog made by very small drops of water in the air. 其形容词为misty，比较级为mistier，级为mistiest。
wonder v. = question是“想要知道”的意思，它常跟宾语从句。同时它还有“感到惊奇”之意。
alive[E5laiv]adj.活着的，come alive表示“活跃起来”，stay alive表示“继续活着;幸存”的意思。
be busy dong sth 是“忙于做某事”的意思。
Show the film of Lesson 70-2.asf which is provided. Finish the exercises 2 on Page 88, and practise the sentences one by one.
Why Because it’s there is used as the topic of this article? What spirit do this sentence show us? Write something about it.
通过本课教学，使学生初步学会说：什么东西或什么人在什么地方，即人或物所在的位置。并要求学生尽可能在交际场合使用。本课只教学生静态位置的表达。(动态位置以后再学)要学习be动词，介词in, on, near, behind, under以及定冠词the和不定冠词a/an的用法。
词汇学习： 掌握： of, classroom, answer, blackboard, some, schoolbag, flower, find, window
理解： broom, raincoat, cap, Hong Kong, Macao, SAR
语音： /i:/ e /e/ e /k/ k /^ / g /s/ s /z/ s
本课主要学会表达大范围 (Where is Beijing?) 和小范围 (Where is my desk?) 的空间关系。小范围的空间关系，可利用教室里的物品练习句型。老师可不断的变换物品的位置让学生熟悉前面提到的几个介词。
辅音音标的发音不必一步到位。如; /s/, /z/
Where is/ Where’s …?
It is/ It’s on/ in/behind/near/under the…
Where are/ Where’re …?
They are/ They’re on/ in/behind/near/under the…
特殊疑问句： 疑问词 + 是动词 + 主语 + 问号
b. 介词in, on, near, behind, under的用法; 可组成介词短语。
介词 + 定冠词 + 名词
如：in the morning, at night, in the desk, on the table, near the door等。
Look at the picture. What can you see …? I can / can’t see… Can you see …?
Where is /Where’s…? It is / It’s in, behind, near, under the…
Where are /Where’re …? They are / They’re in, behind, near, under the…
classroom, blackboard, schoolbag, raincoat，football 均为合成词。可让学生利用所学过的单词知识，自学这些单词。
学生能自学的词尽量让学生自学，老师可稍加引导，以下单词可迁移，让学生自己读 behind → find room →broom
2.寻找一个非设计空间表达不可的动机。如：寻找一个提问者看不见的东西。 老师上课找不见黑板擦，问一个学生。---- Where’s the brush? ---- It’s under the teacher’s table.老师也可自问自答。尽量从交际出发，减少纯句型练习。
Teacher: Could you help me?
T: Go to my office and fetch your notebooks.
S: Where are our notebooks?
T: They are on my table.
S: Where is your table?
T: It’s near the second window.
in the bag, under the table, on the desk , on the table等。
可利用本课所提供的内容，Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao, SAR, 进行爱国主义教育。
The First Period